Our porcelain and composite tooth filling materials are completely safe, and present a range of positive benefits over traditional amalgam fillings.
Advantages of our contemporary filling materials:
- These materials are completely safe and mercury free
- Porcelain and composite resin fillings do not expand or contract in response to temperature changes in the mouth.
- Our filling technique completely seals the void created by dental decay, protecting the tooth from further damage.
- These types of filling materials are tooth coloured and can be colour matched to be very close to the colour of the original tooth . This creates an aesthetically pleasing and seamless result.
Porcelain fillings have an advantage over composite fillings as they are a stronger filling material.
Traditionally, a filling product called amalgam was used in dental inlays and fillings.
This product remains one of the strongest filling treatments available but in the long-term, teeth with amalgam fillings tend to be weaker and your tooth can darken, crack or even break.
Disadvantages of amalgam fillings:
- Amalgam is comprised of an alloy consisting of around 50% mercury. Although some people believe that the mercury can leach into your mouth and cause toxic effects, the validity is uncertain. What we do know is that amalgam does pose an environmental threat and has been banned by environmentally conscious countries such as Sweden and Denmark.
- Unlike our natural tooth material, amalgam expands and contracts in response to the temperature of food and beverages we consume. This process can cause fillings to crack and become loose, threatening the integrity of your natural tooth structure. The following video has been prepared by a colleague of ours from U.S.A. that will demonstrate this in some detail:
- Traditional amalgam fillings are usually simply packed into the void, and not completely sealed. This means that bacteria and plaque can develop underneath the filling- leading to further tooth decay.
- These fillings are not aesthetically pleasing as they are a dark metallic colour and do not blend with the colour of the natural tooth structure that surrounds it.
We proudly use amalgam and mercury free tooth filling materials.